Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 10, Liverpool

This waiting is killing me. I found out this morning that weepy letter got rejected by the student grant people, so now I can only hope that our appeal against the rejection goes through or that I passed one of the exams I wrote. I'm not so sure since I only had two days to prepare for one and a week for the other one, and that's a big course... Fingers crossed for me please! I really dont want to have to go home again, when this is where I belong.

The days are passing by slowly, but I like it. Most of the time I manage to shut out the worries and just focus on being here now, but of course there are times when I can't do that. We havent done much these last days, some shopping, unpacking, being lazy... lots of the being lazy to be honest. Yesterday we were on a mission to find me a Wales NT football shirt since I left my beloved one at home, because tomorrow we are driving down to Cardiff to see Wales vs. Belgium in the World Cup qualifiers! Its a long drive but we have awesome seats, just by the half-way line. Should be amazing, lots of good players on the field.

Meanwhile, since I came here I've been noticing some cultural differences (my boyfriend says I can't say its cultural differences, but this is not his blog...), here are some of them:

  1. Electrical showers. They scare the living daylight out of me to be perfectly honest. At home, the showerhead is connected to a shower valve, which is in turn connected to the hot and cold water piping. Not here, no no, here you get a little box on the wall that you TURN ON USING A FLICK SWITCH. I'm not kidding. Where the water comes from? No idea, but I have a scary feeling it gets heated up inside that box and that I one day will be electrocuted when I shower. The electrical chair anyone? Wet loofa? No?
  2. Carpeting. Its everywhere. I can see the idea here, its soft and nice and no cold feet in the morning! But... how exactly do you clean it? Answer is, you dont really. You hoover it, you can spray chemicals on it, but when the day comes when its too filthy to salvage, you rip it out and put in a new one... Even my bathroom (Don't get me wrong, I got an awesome bathroom) has a carpet. Cute baby blue one. But still.
  3. All that tea. All. The. Time. I like tea though.
  4. Don't even get me started on driving on the wrong side of the road, I get nauseous just thinking about it. Roundabouts...
A thing I LOVE with England though, is the food. Yep. As most Swedes I came here with that superior view of "all you Brits eat is shepherds pie and sausages", and maybe they do, but I mean the GROCERY STORES. Marks & Spencer in particular, which is apparently (?) viewed as quite expensive here. To me its not, my grocery store in Sweden was waaaay more expensive. They have everything. You can get fresh fruits and berries all year round, packaged in plastic boxes, not piled up in some nasty basket like they do at home. And the TOAST. I love toast, like, worship it, and they have the best toast I've ever had. Soft, white, and when you toast it it turns crispy and golden... Mmm with lost of melting butter so it turns a bit soft... I love it. Tesco has huge jars of baked beans. 1 kilo ones. Pure awesomeness. I don't know when I'll get tired of full English breakfast but I'm sure its not far away at this rate..

Anyway, I'm getting to the pictures eventually, I'm off to watch a movie in bed, ciao!

XXx M


No comments:

Post a Comment